Saturday, June 16, 2007

A Close-Shave Trade on Goldman Sachs (GS)

Dear fellow stock options traders :

The trade on Goldman Sachs (GS) was initiated due to a discussion started by my buddy, Redyellowblackdog, at myLot entitled "Oversold Stocks?"

Redyellowblackdog happened to screen out a list over-sold stocks that he felt might rebound. By the way, he has a stock analysis web-site at PolyDimensional Analysis

That prompted me to take a look at Goldman Sachs (GS) daily chart. I observed that GS happened to close higher on the day ie. 8 June 2007, the day that Redyellowblackdog initiated the discussion, after a series of down days beginning from 1 June 2007.


On 11 June 2007, GS closed higher again, giving confirmation of GS's continued uptrend. I also understand that GS would be reporting earnings on 14 June 2007, and I believed that would fatten the options premium due to the increase in implied volatility.

That prompted me to paper trade 2 nos. of June 230 Call at $410.00 each on 12 June 2007. I observed the closing hours and decided to hold on to the position till the next day ie. 13 June 2007.

On 13 June 2007, GS gapped up about +$2.00 to $229.00 when market opened. I'd decided to observe GS's reaction to the release of Fed Biege Book later in the afternoon and the build-up of implied volatility leading to earnings announcement to determine whether to exit the position.

After the release of the Fed Biege Book, the stock market rallied. I also observed that GS started to move up strongly about +$2.00 to $233.00 after 3.30pm EST. That really fattened the implied volatility & intrinsic value of the June 230 Call as it became in-the-money. After observing the Level 2 Code and making a quick decision whether GS call option could fetch at least $500 a contract if it reported good earnings on 14 June 2007, I decided to close my position & sold the contracts for $530.00 a piece.

On 14 June 2007, although GS reported 2nd quarter earnings of $4.93 per share, $0.17 better than the Reuters Estimates consensus of $4.76, the stock plunged more than $6.00 when market opened due to some concerns over the sub-prime mortgage business. The June 230 Call could now fetch less than $50.00 per contract.


Related Trade in my Stock Options Trading Blog

A Winning Trade - Goldman Sachs Group Inc. (GS)

If you've managed to find out about the Live Freely! Seminar from my stock options trading blog and subsequently sign up for it, I hope you could do me a kind favour and mention Mr Tony Chai from Batch 14 as the referrer. Thank you for your kindness.

Wishing you Profitable in your Options Trading too.

Yours Sincerely,

Tony Chai
http://www.myoptionsonline.com

0 comments: